70 Platinum Ways to Rise Above
Here are 70 reasons to join ARA in Phoenix, Arizona on November 6-9, to celebrate 70 years of the largest gathering of auto recyclers, vendors, and industry experts!
July 1, 2013
Every year, staff and volunteers of the Automotive Recyclers Association work diligently to craft a memorable and beneficial opportunity for attendees to sharpen their skills, learn new approaches to business, discover trends, see the latest technology and equipment, and to network with their colleagues, all while taking a few days to enjoy the host city, with all it has to offer.
This year promises to be even better, as ARA celebrates the “platinum” year of this international gathering designed to shape the industry worldwide. The 70th Annual ARA Convention & Exposition, followed by the International Roundtable Meeting, will be held in Phoenix, AZ, offering auto recyclers and their staff many benefits, on both business and personal levels.
To give you a taste of what you can expect, here are 70 platinum reasons (presented in no particular order) to attend this celebration of automotive recycling:
Take Control of Business (Top 5 Reason to Attend)
1. In an exciting advancement in membership benefits for ARA, you get the opportunity to see firsthand the exciting unveiling of “ARADirect – Salvage Acquisitions,” the biggest benefit program in ARA recent history. This will revolutionize the way you get salvage if everyone participates!
2. Bring tangible benefits to your business with “ARA’s Certification Program: Blueprint for your Success.”
3. Hear first-hand from J.D. Hayworth, a former Member of Congress, and former sportscaster, turned successful radio talk show personality. He tells it like it really is on Capitol Hill, providing important insider information.
4. Keynote Speaker Scott Blanchard brings his business wisdom to the convention. He is Executive Vice President of Client Solutions for The Ken Blanchard Companies®. An accomplished author in his own right (co-author of Leverage Your Best, Ditch the Rest and Leading at a Higher Level), Scott represents the next generation of pioneering thought leadership on management issues.
5. You can learn about leadership from Keynote Speaker Author Garry Ridge who will share his insights on Helping People Win At Work.
The Mother of all Tradeshows
6. ARA’s must-attend Exposition hosts over 100 exhibitors, from office and shop suppliers, environmental tools and services, inventory software systems, POS providers, to light and heavy equipment, and more.
7. Explore and discover new trending products and services to incorporate immediately into your operations.
8. Discover ways to trim costs and increase your profits.
9. Take advantage of resources at the official ARA Booth to learn about what benefits are available to you as part of your ARA membership.
10. Build long-term relationships with vendors and experts through face-to-face meetings at the Expo.
11. See impressive live demos of recycling equipment at the Expo and at the Yard Tour, this year hosted by American Auto Recycling.
12. For Automotive Recycling Industry Suppliers – being a part of this spectacular event, you’ll be able to:
a. Meet face-to-face with the industry’s leaders and key decision-makers in this multi-billion dollar industry; ARA members are typically the leading auto recycling businesses across the United States and abroad;
b. Increase your company exposure;
c. Generate new leads and inquiries;
d. Remain steps ahead of your competition;
e. Enjoy the most cost-effective method of reaching new customers.
13. Automotive recyclers will save valuable time searching for new vendors by having access to multiple companies, all at one time. Representatives have set aside time to be here just to meet you.
14. Spend time at the ARA Booth to mingle with leadership, staff, and industry colleagues.
Meet and Mingle
15. Network with industry peers to discover their best business practices. At ARA events, sharing helpful information with each other is encouraged.
16. Vroom Vroom! Choose to join your colleagues for a day at the races – AdvoCare 500 – on Sunday! Don’t miss the racing action as the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series nears the end of another season. Spend the day at the Phoenix International Raceway on your own to visit team trailers, tour the pit area, and more. Then meet fellow auto recyclers for the race in the Upper Petty section.
17. Shift into overdrive for several days following the convention to participate in the International Roundtable Meeting – a catalyst for the global auto recycling industry, where delegates share reports and presentations highlighting successes and showcasing industry best practices worldwide. Industry concerns within regions and countries are addressed.
18. Enjoy a round of golf while talking business with fellow recyclers at the Ocotillo Golf Resort.
19. For members newer to ARA, become more connected as part of the ARA family.
20. Remember, ARA members get discounted registration pricing!
21. Take a tour of Brock Supply, a friend and sponsor of ARA for many years, as they welcome you to their corporate office and warehouse for an early-evening party that opens the convention festivities.
22. Phoenix Automotive Cores continues the touring and party theme on Wednesday night with food, music, and entertainment, and the Phoenix Cores Million Dollar bartenders for charity!
23. American Auto Recycling, owned by ARA Past President and current Scholarship Foundation President Mark Buessing, opens their doors for the Yard Tour & BBQ on Saturday, this night will not disappoint (see page 51 for more on American Auto Recycling).
24. Auto recycling ladies are invited to attend the LARA luncheon to strengthen relationships, build a resource network, and share information.
Making Things Happen
25. Visit with ARA industry partners who attend the annual convention because they value you – the individual automotive recycler. Be there to reap the benefit of ARA’s many partnerships. For instance, last year attendees were able to talk at length with I-CAR’s President about OEM repair procedures and emerging technology. Similar sessions with experts are planned for this year.
26. Attend the meetings of all ARA Committees, the heartbeat of the Association (see page 42 for more info). Here, you can learn about the workgroups you can volunteer for, and what committee might suit your interests and expertise.
27. Inform yourself of latest industry trends to better prepare for discussions with your legislators.
28. Learn tactics and hear about what other activities and grassroots outreach recyclers have done to educate and interact with their elected officials.
29. Get informed about all that ARA Government Affairs has planned for the upcoming year.
30. Get current safety information and updates on environmental issues and requirements at educational sessions like, “How to Survive an OSHA Safety Audit.”
31. Learn why the ARA Political Action Committee, the fund that contributes to political candidates who support the automotive recycling initiatives, is important to the advancement of the industry.
32. Attend an “ARA Recycler Members Only” session that reveals the report, “The Future of ARA: Three-Year Strategic Plan,” resulting from the recent strategic planning session held with ARA leadership.
33. Hear firsthand reports of the initial results of the government relations work formed by ARA’s new strategic plan – based on 5 major initiatives with the purpose to strengthen the reputation of ARA and its members as the voice of automotive recycling Congress.
34. Learn effective ways of “Opening Lines of Communication with Your State Lawmaker” in this session from seasoned legislative networkers.
35. Explore setting up a facility visit by your elected lawmakers with ARA’s Government Relations staff.
Get Your Team Educated – Boost Profits
36. Enjoy the knowledge gained from 45 power-packed educational sessions over three days. Check out the Convention Schedule (page 34), and also www.araexpo.org for ongoing schedule updates.
37. Understand the impact that “IIHS: Collision Avoidance Technology” will have on your business.
38. “Electrify Your Profits – Not Your Employees: Hands-on Hybrid Dismantling” educates on how best to manage your hybrid vehicles and how to maximize
your profit from hybrid parts sales.
39. Discover untapped markets for increased revenue at “Profits through Proper Handling of Airbags.”
40. Learn to create alliances with important community partners at “Strengthening Partnerships with Law Enforcement & Emergency Responders.”
41. Save money through your ARA membership by leveraging the session, “ARA Marketplace: Significant Savings at Your Fingertips.”
42. “Increase Revenue through Better Inventory Methods” is a how-to session on tracking your stock to better serve your customers.
43. “Pay for Performance: Increasing Productivity through Creative Compensation Plans” introduces the concept of leaving straight hourly wages behind.
44. Get creative in the session, “How to Market Yourself to Attract New Customers.”
45. A bright spot on marketing includes, “Light Bulb Moments to Improve Your Business in the Next 60 Days.”
46. “You Never Get a Second Chance to Make a First Impression” shares essential customer service tips.
47. Tap into new markets with “Marketing your Business to Gen X/Y.”
48. “How to Run a More Cost-Efficient Employee Benefits & Services Program;” enough said.
49. “HR Laws, Pitfalls, & Healthcare Reform,” explained, as much as one can.
50. Discover the effects online comments can have on business. at “How Your Local Online Reputation Affects your Bottom Line.”
51. Get a fresh look at “eBay from a Recycler’s Perspective.”
52. Get one-on-one time throughout the convention with ARA’s Federal Government Relations staff about your Members of Congress and what policies affecting auto recyclers would be of interest to them.
53. Meet with and hear from Government Affairs Committee members, as well, a meeting which always attracts big crowds.
54. Interact with and learn from ARA’s State Government Affairs staff and recyclers from other states that are involved in state legislative activities.
55. Meet with state affiliate industry representatives to be updated on the latest industry news that you can use in meetings with your constituents. Last year, educational sessions were held on parts data and the interchange. Armed with this knowledge, ARA members were better equipped to discuss with legislators about the need for better data from the OEs.
56. Hear reports on the year’s progress and plans for new initiatives for the upcoming year at the annual ARA Board Meeting. It is the major annual checkpoint. If you are not there, you will not be able to help evaluate the year’s progress and help guide the next year’s efforts.
57. Help shape where ARA should provide members more education. There is no better time to request a meeting to talk with ARA leadership about an issue that needs more attention.
58. Learn why it is so important from a policy perspective to be a member of the elite Certified Auto Recycler program (CAR). The ARA staff touts this program on Capitol Hill with policymakers.
59. Get the proper education to help your recycling facility advance in this ever-changing industry.
60. Meet and make new friends and to learn from other auto recyclers who can help you.
61. Participate to help advance the Association and our industry.
62. Enjoy the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel the largest, most advanced hotel in the state of Arizona, redefining the Sheraton brand and reinventing the concept of a convention hotel.
63. The special ARA room rate is just $199 at this four-diamond property located in the heart of Phoenix. Benefit from the spectacular surrounding area, including artsy Scottsdale nearby.
Be a Winner
64. Sign up for member services at the BizUnite booth and start saving money immediately on discounted services available to all ARA members.
65. Win a Camaro or $25,000 in the ARA Scholarship Raffle (see page 32 for more).
66. While this is a business meeting, we welcome children and families to attend.
67. You could win the Pinewood Derby race, a fundraiser for the ARA Scholarship Foundation.
68. Attend ARA’s Awards Dinner and Gavel Ceremony where award recipients will be honored and ARA’s new officers will be installed.
69. Enjoy the desert sights, sounds, and surroundings of beautiful Phoenix (see page 38 for more).
70. This is a unique opportunity to take your business to the next level.
Michelle Keadle-Taylor is a freelance writer in Northern Virginia and a regular contributor to Automotive Recycling magazine.